From:
Walter Meyer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 Jul 2000 21:45:29 -0400
Chris Bonds wrote:

>Satoshi Akima wrote:
>
>>it is still preferable to start somewhere easier rather than to
>>dive into the deep end of 20th century music.
>
>I'm curious to know if anyone here has, or knows someone who has, come
>to appreciate 20th-century atonal, pantonal, serial, etc.  music in vacuo,
>i.e.  in relative unfamiliarity with the music of earlier centuries.  I
>doubt it, but it's possible.

When my daughter (who by the way is no longer particularly interested
in classical music) started piano lessons at age 6 with the usual
simple children's nursery melodies, she was also started on Bartok's
*Mikrokosmos*, (admittedly no orgy of atonalism [atonality?] but at least
a product of this century, I think) which she found as interesting, if not
more so, than the other more traditional stuff she was given to practice.

Walter Meyer