From:
Thanh-Tam Le <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 31 Jan 1999 18:29:30 -0500
Keith Bramich <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Thanh-Tam Le wrote about Music Information Centres, and I found your
>posting very interesting, as I recently attempted something similar for
>the website review column at Music & Vision.  Your article goes a bit deeper
>than mine, I think, but I also found a few interesting discrepancies in the
>IAMIC members, e.g.  although Germany is represented, it isn't in fact the
>German Music Information Centre that's a member!

Absolutely, in fact members are not always the ones one might expect.
Another instance of this is Switzerland, there is a Swiss MIC.  But the
SUISA foundation is of invaluable help, and they are very fast for replies
(never say that all Swiss people are slow:-}).

>There's also a Lithuanian Music Information and Publishing Centre at
>http://www.mic.lt/ which claims to be a member of IAMIC but isn't mentioned
>by them (or at least wasn't when I looked)!

They took part in the last IAMIC meeting in Vienna and should be joining it
before long, if it isn't done as yet.  Actually, I am having some trouble
sending e-mails to them, but I shall turn to good old snail-mail.  Please
have a look at my post about Lithuanian music...

>I found South African and Japanese MICs too ... not in IAMIC.

I must visit your site!  I managed to have access to SA records by Mr.
De Beer and it was worth it, van Wyk's Symphonies for instance and Stefans
Grove's recent African works are remarkable.  And they must now be
available in England and through Internet.

>We should collaborate on the investigations you're doing!

Although I have had no time to make a homepage of my own, I would be
delighted to.  Thank you for your kind comments!

Thanh-Tam Le