From:
Philip Peters <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Mar 1999 22:57:01 +0100
Bob Kasenchak wrote:

>Anybody know about Viktor Ullmann, a Jewish composer who was executed
>in a concentration camp? ...  what other works by Ullmann I should check
>out? Or anything else anybody knows about him...

Ullmann is one of the composers who were in Theresienstadt and from there
we transported to Auschwitz.  His work is fine and has got to be better
known through the Entartete Musik-series.  I believe the symphonies by the
Czech Philharmonic under Gerd Albrecht belong to that series (I taped my
Ullmann mainly from radio broadcasts).  Apart from the symphonies there is
an interesting work for orchestra with the bizarre title "Don Quixote tanzt
Fandango".  Also interesting is a work for voice and orchestra called "Die
Weise von Liebe und Tod des Cornets Christoph Rilke" (which is the more
interesting because it can be compared with Martin's setting for mezzo
and orchestra of the same wonderful Rilke-text).  The Hawthorne Quartet
recorded the string quartets and there seem to be more versions out there
as you mention but I don't know those.

Philip