From:
Joel Hill <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Jan 1999 23:32:07 -0500
Don Satz wrote:

>Whatever you do, do not waste your time and purchase any O'Conor on
>Telarc(highly pedestrian).  Even Bernard Roberts on Nimbus is preferable
>mainly due to that great Nimbus sound.
>
>These are only my views.  Others will likely advice differently.

I was just getting ready to respond to this thread when I read Don's post.
Not that I would actually "advice" differently, but my impression is just
the opposite of Don's.

I got the 11 CD set of Robert's cycle at a Best Buy for $25, and am
not enamored by the piano sound at all.  In fact, the sound is my major
complaint so far.  I haven't played thru them all yet, but I prefer
O'Conor's piano sound on the few of his Beethoven Sonatas that I have.
I mainly have his versions of my favorites, including the Op 31's, the
named ones and the Op 109.

Anyone else???

I also have the old stereo set with Brendel that is a part of one of those
"Everything that Beethoven ever wrote for the piano" projects of 21 LP's.
I think I paid less that $20 about 30 years ago.  Joel Hill

Tallahassee, FL