From:
Tim Dickinson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Jan 1999 17:52:13 -0500
Don Satz wrote:

>Whatever you do, do not waste your time and purchase any O'Conor on
>Telarc(highly pedestrian).  Even Bernard Roberts on Nimbus is preferable
>mainly due to that great Nimbus sound.
>
>These are only my views.  Others will likely advice differently.

How about completely differently, at least for the Roberts? I picked it
up awhile back (11 CDs for $25 - why not?) and recently started listening
through it (along with Jando's on Naxos).  I'm up to number 9 and have
given up on the Roberts.  Chief among my issues with his playing is his
irritating (and frequent) tempo distortions.  These include inappropriate
(to me) use of rubato and the inclusion of brief unmarked pauses.  Included
in the latter is the tendency to oh so slightly hesitate at bar lines.
Another problem is the tubby Nimbus sound, as I prefer a piano sound that
is close up.

This morning I put this set in my car so that I'm prepared the next time
that I drive by a used CD store.

I like the Jando okay.

Tim Dickinson, TDWARE
http://www.tdware.com