From:
Bernard Chasan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Oct 2001 21:14:24 -0500
Denis Fodor wrote:

>As long as we're with the restaurant trope, let's try it this way: the
>canon of classical music is what a Michelin three-star restaurant is to
>fancy dining.  Understandably, even a gourmet wouldn't want to subsist on
>that kind of a diet consistently.  There's nothing wrong with a pastrami
>sandwich at the Essex Delicatessen for a lunch or for some DimSun now and
>then.

Dennis loads the dice badly by assuming a hierarchy - that other
extra-canon stuff is alright, but its not A level.  But what is extra_canon
and what is canon? Are Bartok Quartets 3 Star? In my estimate the are- no
doubt about it.  My guess is that Dennis would NOT admit them to the canon.
That is his right, but he should avoid the temptation of elevating his
preferences to the status of an absolute standard.

Professor Bernard Chasan
Physics Department, Boston University