From:
Bernard Chasan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Oct 2001 16:13:14 -0500
William Hong writes:

>Bernard Gregoire wrote:
>
>>Singer/composer Billy Joel appeared on Charley Rose' interview show late
>>last week and commented on classical music in the context of a typical
>>music listener.  In effect he put the knock on classical listeners as too
>>elitist and out of reach for ordinary mortals.
>
>I suppose, given the aesthetic of these times, but was it always this way?
>Were the Toscanini/NBC Symphony broadcasts considered that "elitist"?
>
>>He called us too nerdy, technical and arcane to paraphrase his descriptions.
>>Ordinary listeners are put off by too much insider discussions with key
>>signatures and opus numbers, etc.
>
>IMO, a rap that's true often enough!  But in the end, I don't worry too
>much about it.

Billy Joel, interviewed by the fawning Charlie Rose, did precisely what
James Tobin noted in a recent communication: identifyed the alternative
to the good stuff with the avant garde.  The villain was Schoenberg and
his followers, and Joel charactitured that music by producing a few ugly
noises.  Rose did not challenge him.  Perhaps Rose is not into classical
music, and of course Rose never challenges anyone.Joel, promoting his
recent piano works, said that it was time for " the rest of us" to take
back classical music.  An unpleasant performance from someone who should
know better.

However, it brings to mind the need for more outreach.  Classical music, I
am sure, can be approached and enjoyed by people who have little background
in or interest in what William calls the insider discussions.  We should
not allow the Billy Joels to dominate the discussion.  Bernard Chasan (who
will always treasure the long discussions of key signatures and other real
nerdy stuff so commonly held on this Liszt.)

Professor Bernard Chasan
Physics Department, Boston University