From:
Peter Harzem <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Oct 2001 08:34:40 -0500
Some 35 (+/-?) years ago I was fortunate enough to hear Reginald Goodall
conduct the Meistersinger, and the Ring at the English National Opera
in London.  At each performance (possibly all but one) he/they received
standing ovation, and justly so--not a common display by English opera
audiences.  (Writing this, now living in the USA, I miss my beloved
Coliseum!) Rita Hunter sang, well, heavenly, and I still remember the
complex wonderful feelings of the occasions.

Having started the memory-lane, perhaps I will be permitted one other
personal recollection.  At the conclusion of the Meistersinger, the
audience was on their feet, applauding, some shouting 'bravo' etc.  Then I
heard the young woman at the seat next to mine shouting 'encore, encore' I
was intrigued and mildly amused so I spoke to her and asked if she really
wanted them to do it again.  She laughed, we talked...and we have now been
married for 32 years.

The members of this list going back some 7 or 8 years may remember this
as I had written it then, but without the concluding sentence.  On that
occasion someone wrote off list, defending the young woman, noting that
encore did not necessarily imply a request for the repetition of the entire
performance.  I replied that I had not meant to be critical of her, and in
any case I would not dare, for she is now my wife!

I just thought this light little piece may bring a smile to the list which,
I think, has been rather weighty-serious lately.

Peter Harzem