From:
Christine Labroche <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 6 Oct 2001 14:14:33 +0200
Peggy Lucero:

>Hello, I'm attempting to start building a CD collection of classical
>greats.  I've begun to get educated.  I bought a book, Classical Music
>for Dummies (one has to start somewhere!), that I'm finding quite good.
>...  Shostakovich: Symphony # 1 (I was advised to get the one done by
>Rostropovich--Do you concer?) ... my favorite instrument is piano.
>Someone recommended Pollini,

I notice Peggy has never come back to comment on the comments.  Pity.  I
would be most interested to know something about her initial motivations -
that is, why she chose the fifth list and chose to submit it to MCML -, and
about where she stands now.

As Peggy says, she is starting to _build a collection_ of classical greats.
This might suggest she has already heard a certain amount of classical
music and either knows what attracts her most, or knows where her
blind-spot lies.  Most intriguing.

People don't buy and _read_ books on classical music (even with provocative
titles) without reason.  And Peggy already has her advisors, though I am
not sure I would completely agree with the one who suggested Rostropovich
for Shostakovich's first symphony...  the Pollini recommendation, yes,
amongst others, why not? His recordings of 20th century music could even
have found their way on to the fifth list.  Peggy, please tell us more
about your taste for music.

That said, except for the Adams which I have never heard, I appreciate
every work on list No5 - a fine list, indeed, and suitably varied.  May I
suggest Rozhdestvensky for the DSCH 1? By the way, did Mravinsky record it?
He probably did but I have never managed to find it.

Regards,

Christine Labroche