From:
Tim Dickinson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Oct 2000 22:27:02 -0400
Steve Schwartz reviewed:

>Christopher Rouse
>World Premiere Recordings
>
>* Symphony No. 2 (1994)
>* Flute Concerto (1993)
>* Phaeton (1986)
>
>Carol Wincenc (flute),
>Houston Symphony/Christoph Eschenbach
>Total time: 65:29
>Telarc CD-80452

I've listened to this CD around four times.  While I still have a ways to
go before I have my arms completely around it, this is good stuff.  The
chorale in the concerto is as arresting as any music that I've heard that
dates from, oh, 1912 forward and the last minute of the symphony is as
exciting as any music that I've ever heard, period.

In March, Marin Alsop conducts the Atlanta Symphony is this program:

John Adams - Short Ride on a Fast Machine
Tchaikovsky - Romeo and Juliet
Rouse - Symphony No 2

I'll be there!  While the Tchaikovsky is somewhat of an odd duck here, I'm
thankful that it is; it should pacify my spouse if she doesn't respond to
Rouse's pounding rhythms.

Tim Dickinson
http://www.tdware.com/