From:
Bernard Chasan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Oct 2000 11:33:57 -0500
Sterling Newberry wrote:

>Clearly the only hope for art is to erase it down to the bed rock, and
>perhaps, in a century or so, people will rediscover it, this time divorced
>from its propoganda, and treat it as art, rather than as excellent raw
>material for tank treads.

Stirling makes some good points, The schism between the avant gardists and
the tonalists(not a great label) is not pretty, with intolerance on both
sides of the divide.  But how in blazes do we "erase (art) to the bed rock?
What can those words mean? And why should we want to erase art? It is an
imperfect world, Sterling- live with it.

Professor Bernard Chasan
Physics Department, Boston University