From:
Bert Bailey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Oct 2000 15:38:15 -0400
Karl Miller wrote about Pierian, his new CD label:

>Our next issues will be American Music from broadcasts of the National
>Orchestral Association.

What sort of vintage? All from tapes? So ADD or AAD, I assume?

>Planned issues include Lopatnikoff: Violin Concerto and Symphony No.3

On the strength of the version of his Concertino for Orchestra by
Bernstein, with the Columbia S.O., I'd be interested in a copy of this
release.  What's the price?

>...and a disc of works for piano and orchestra: Dello Joio: Magnificat
>for Piano and Orch.; Lees: Piano Concerto No.1 and the Ernest Gold:
>Piano Concerto.

Going on the Benjamin Lees' symphony on Naxos and SS's very full
endorsement of this composer, I'd be interested in buying a copy of this.

>No doubt money losers all,

You never know.  Cloistered monks with obscure and unlikely material have
been surprised...

 From someone who's just lost a goodly chunk of money on something I
thought needed doing -- a Canadian Multiculturalism/Human Rights calendar
(for 1999 and 2000 only) -- I wish you good luck with your venture.  The
experience will no doubt provide you with invaluable rewards, regardless of
the outcome.  It sounds most exciting.  (I bet you've made many on the List
green.)

>but stuff we want to do.

Good for you: hats off for courage.

>...we don't have a web site yet!

I'd suggest you get on with it.  It's not that expensive.  And, if
you're willing to trust your clientele by sending out your product
cash-on-delivery, it shouldn't be problematic to set up an order form:
this could be extremely useful to you.  Mine (see URL below) cost me under
$400, _including_ translations.

>We also printed our booklets in black and white to save money.

Is this really necessary? Is the cost of colour printing so dear? The loss
in presentation is considerable, I'd say.  Call me superficial: I think
it matters.  I'd have thought that one could get a pretty solid 2nd-hand
colour printer for a song (har), and rid yourself of the shortcoming of
drab appearance.

>In short, it can be done on the cheap.

This is good news indeed for music lovers.

Bert Bailey, in Ottawa
http://www.cyberus.ca/~bbailey/calen/