From:
Matthew Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Oct 2000 10:09:05 +1000
Alex Canto wrote:

>If a recording company were to do an encyclopedia of violin playing in
>this century (similar to the Philips Great Pianists project), who do think
>should be included? Obvious choices are Heifetz, D. Oistrach, Grumiaux,
>Szigeti, Milstein, Menuhin, Suk.  Probably more controversial are Oleg
>Kagan, Perlman, Kremer, Andrew Manze, Gyorgy Pauk, Isaac Stern.

Ysaye may just scrape in their due to his life spilling over into this
century.  Zino Francescatti and Ginette Neuveu are another two that
immediately spring to mind.  One could also include Szeryng, Ricci, and
Accardo.  Of the current batch of fine young players there is of course
Shaham, Vengerov, Repin and Bell.  Other "controversial" ones - Zuckerman,
Kyung-Wha Chung, Zehetmair, Zimmerman, Kuijken, Haendel, Schneiderhahn, I.
Oistrakh and Mutter.  I put controversial in inverted commas because I
wonder why Alex thinks these players controversial.  Indeed one may not
like all of the recorded works of each of these players or even any of it.
Of Alex's list I personally have little time for Heifetz (sacrilige coming
from a violinist I know) because for me most of his recordings are too
fast.  This does not mean I think he should not be there because he was
certainly a fine player.  Some of those that I have included follow this
line of thinking.

For example - Zuckerman.  He has been accused by many for being a cold
and calculating performer.  I can understand why this is so.  He seems so
uninvolved in what he is doing.  But having seen him in a masterclass a few
years ago, before his performances, he did not come across in this light.
It was a fun, light-hearted atmosphere that was pleasant for those of us
listening and as relaxing as can possibly be for those students performing
for him.

In conclusion, I may not necessarily like everything that these violinists
do but there is little contoversy for me about their ability.

Matthew Gillett