From:
Ray Bayles <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Aug 2000 12:27:24 -0700
As an owner of a publishing company since 1984, I stand by my statement.

There are some analysis of Grove (though unfortunately none that I know
of on the net) that predict Grove could substantially increase its sales
with appropriate marketing, and with appropriate changes in its publishing
technology (print).

Costs of editorial content and updates are not a significant issue.

They have made management decisions which keeps them in old systems of
printing, old systems of distribution, and antiquated systems of marketing
and advertising.  They believe they will do well by focusing on
institutional sales.

I predict they will fail within seven years unless they change...  I expect
to see them bought out by one of the firms using new technology.  What is
happening in publishing is astonishing and quite scary...  Publishing firms
are failing at an enormous rate.  The electronic book technology being
developed by Microsoft, Bill Gates apart from Microsoft, and Amazon.com
will change the world dramatically in the next four to seven years.

I don't want to see Grove changed too much.  We need what they do
editorially.  Their contribution is significant to the music world.

Ray Bayles