From:
Bert Bailey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Aug 2000 09:47:54 -0400
Richard Todd wrote about his:

>...enthusiasm for Hetu.  ...There is, I think, a 5-CD Centredisc set of some
>of Hetu's music.  I haven't heard it, ...

It can only be bought as a 5-CD package, alas ...a real disservice to
Hetu, who's still composing and no doubt spending all his royalties at the
laundromat.  BTW, Talivadis Kenins, the Latvian-Canadian composer mentioned
before on this List, has a similarly unfortunate deal with that company:
one album of 4 CDs, or maybe 5 -- and one's an interview!

Contrast this with Finlandia, whose Meet the Composers series has
effectively put on the map Englund, Kokkonen, Merikanto, Rautavaara,
Sallinen, and others for CM lovers.  The Finnish Embassy even donated a CD
of 'Finnish Opera Highlights' from that label to the Ottawa Public Library.
It seems someone in Finland -- whose government likely sponsored that Meet
the Composers series -- is doing an effective job of promoting its culture.

Speaking of which, when I approached Naxos's Klaus Heymann about a release
of music by Hetu or Kenins, his reply was that he'd do so only if there was
the incentive of some sponsorship.

>Anyway, let's plug away for better access to Hetu's music.

Yes, indeed.  For now, at least through
http://radio.cbc.ca/programs/2newhours/hetuzwillich.htm technology now
makes some of it available worldwide.

Bert B, in Ottawa