From:
John Smyth <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 20 Aug 2000 13:03:43 -0700
To cleanse my palate after Strauss's "Joseph's Legende," I put on Bach's
Sonatas and Partitas for solo violin w/ Mintz.  I've been working on the S
and P's for a couple of months now, (not listening to them back to back!),
and still no epiphany.

I recently traded in my modern cello version of Bach's Cello Suites for
Kirshbaum's semi-HIP recording on Virgin and I have enjoyed the latter very
much--the music suddenly came to life.  Hoping for a Kirshbaum-esque/HIP
epiphany regarding the Sonatas and Partitas, I have been combing the
Gramophone data base for positive reviews of HIP recordings.  Can anyone
second the magazine's positive review of Monica Huggett's performance on
Virgin? And what of Rachel Podger's? (Vol.  I, with Vol II projected?)

Next, Gramophone and Penguin say very little about Bach's Anna Magdalena's
Notebook.  I am interested in the Leonhardt issue which includes the
singing of Elly Ameling--one of my favorite artists.  This CD contains only
the highlights, but from what I understand, some of Anna contains music
from elsewhere--is it only the redundant music that is removed? Nonesuch
has a complete recording available, but I can't remember the performers.
Highlights or complete set?

Finally,  I am looking for a midprice introduction to the most popular Bach
Cantatas.  I am very interested in a L'Oiseau-Lyre reissue featuring Joshua
Rifkin and company.  The two CD set contains BWV 147, 80, 140, 8, 51, and
78; and introduced as, "6 Favourite Cantatas." I understand that some are
bothered by the fact that Rifkin uses only one singer per part in the
choral sections, but I am more interested in how his artists handle Bach's
more intimate moments.

John Smyth