From:
Pablo Massa <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Aug 2000 07:18:50 -0300
Walter Meyer wrote:

>Yes, w/ more training, I'd no doubt have greater insight into some
>of these composers' works than mere listening can provide, just as more
>erudition would give me a greater appreciation for Joyce's "Anna Livia",
>hearing which, especially when read by Joyce (as I have on a recording),
>can be a delight.

Do you really think so?.  Is there a greater insight of a work than mere
listening can provide?.  As far as all we knows, works are composed mainly
for listening.  Perhaps musical training would give you another kind of
insight, but it wouldn't be "greater", just "different".  Neither do I
think that more erudition would give you a greater appreciation of Joyce's
"Finnegans".  This may be true with "Ulysses", perhaps, but what are you
going to find in "Anna Livia" with more erudition?, some hidden meanings?.
You will spend your life finding them, because they will always appear in
different ways, no matter how much erudition do you apply to the text.  I
think that "Anna Livia" is more a fact of sound than of "meaning".

Pablo Massa