From:
Jon Johanning <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 20 Feb 1999 14:51:54 -0500
Having received a request to post the programs I referred to, I put
together an alphabetized list of the works which have been announced so
far (omitting the opening night and special Christmas, Halloween, etc.,
programs, which have pre-20th century items.  The full programs can be
found at www.philorch.org.

As you will see, they are cheating a bit by throwing in some Stokowski Bach
transcriptions, and I would say that the selections are rather heavily
weighted on the "lush, romantic" side of the century, but I think it is a
very appropriate reflection of the way the Phila.  Orch.  has participated
in the history of the century's music.

BACH/arr. Stokowski "Ein' feste Burg ist unser Gott"
  " "Sheep May Safely Graze"
  " "Wachet auf, ruft uns die Stimme"
  " Toccata and Fugue in D minor, BWV 565
BARBER Knoxville: Summer of 1915
  " Overture to The School for Scandal
  " Violin Concerto
BARTOK Piano Concerto No. 3
  " Violin Concerto No. 2
  " Concerto for Orchestra
BERG Violin Concerto
BERNSTEIN Overture to Candide
  " Serenade (after Plato's Symposium), for solo violin, strings, harp, and
percussion
BRITTEN Four Sea Interludes and Passacaglia, from Peter Grimes
COPLAND Suite, Appalachian Spring
  " Symphony No. 3
DEBUSSY La Mer
DUTILLEUX Timbres, espace, mouvement, ou La Nuit etoilee
ELGAR Symphony No. 1 in A-flat major
FAURE Masques et bergamasques
GORECKI Symphony No. 3
GRUBER Frankenstein!!
HANNIBAL One Heart Beating (A Philadelphia Orchestra Centennial Commission)
HINDEMITH Mathis der Maler
HOLST The Planets
HONEGGER Symphony No. 3 ("Liturgical")
IBERT Escales
IVES Second Orchestral Set
  " The Unanswered Question
JANACEK Lachian Dances
KERNIS Lament and Prayer, for violin and orchestra
KNUSSEN The Way to Castle Yonder, Op. 21a
KODALY Suite from Hary Janos
LIEBERMANN Flute Concerto
LUTOSLAWSKI Cello Concerto
MAHLER Adagio, from Symphony No. 10
  " Das Lied von der Erde
  " Kindertotenlieder
  " Symphony No. 5
MARTINU Symphony No. 4
MUSORGSKY/arr. Stokowski A Night on Bald Mountain
NIELSEN Symphony No. 4
POULENC Concerto in D minor for Two Pianos and Orchestra
PROKOFIEV Piano Concerto No. 3
  " Symphony No. 5
  " Violin Concerto No. 1
RACHMANINOFF Piano Concerto No. 2
  " Symphonic Dances
  " Symphony No. 2
RAUTAVAARA Symphony No. 8 (A Philadelphia Orchestra Centennial Commission)
RAVEL Bolero
  " Pavane pour une infante defunte
  " Piano Concerto for the Left Hand
  " Piano Concerto in G major
  " Valses nobles et sentimentales
RESPIGHI Gli uccelli
SAINT-SA $Bo/ (JS Carnival of the Animals
SCHICKELE American Birthday Card
  " Bach Portrait
  " Eine kleine Nichtmusik
  " Uptown Hoedown
  " What Did You Do Today at Jeffrey's House
SCHOENBERG Gurrelieder
SCHUMANN Songs with piano
SCRIABIN The Poem of Ecstasy
SHOSTAKOVICH Festive Overture, Op. 96
  " Piano Concerto No. 1
  " Symphony No. 5
  " Symphony No. 14
  " Violin Concerto No. 1
SIBELIUS Symphony No. 7
  " The Swan of Tuonela
  " Violin Concerto
STENHAMMAR Piano Concerto No. 2
STILL Symphony No. 1 ("Afro-American")
STRAUSS Symphonia domestica, Op. 53
STRAVINSKY Chorale-variations on Von Himmel hoch da komm' ich her'
  " Concerto in E-flat major for Chamber Orchestra ("Dumbarton Oaks")
  " Le Sacre du printemps
  " Suite from L'Oiseau de feu (1919 version)
  " Suite from Pulcinella
TAKEMITSU Asterism, for piano and orchestra
  " riverrun, for piano and orchestra
TIPPETT The Rose Lake, a song without words
VARESE Arcana
VARESE/Beaumont Un Grand Sommeil noir
VAUGHAN WILLIAMS Fantasia on a Theme by Thomas Tallis
WALTON Viola Concerto
WEBERN Im Sommerwind
WEILL Kleine Dreigroschenmusik, Suite from The Threepenny Opera

Jon Johanning // [log in to unmask]