From:
Mark Ehlert <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Jul 2000 19:22:44 -0500
From: David Harbin

>Is there a recording of Bruckner on period instruments that reveals
>a wholly different internal balance between strings, wind and brass?

There is one performance of a Bruckner symphony on period instruments:
(one of the versions of) the Symphony no.  3 with Norrington and the
LCP.  I have yet to purchase it myself (or find it -- I may have to
look overseas).  However, judging from all the other recordings of the
Romantic-period orchestral literature I have by the same conductor and band
(Schumann, Wagner, Brahms, Smetana), I'm sure Norrington makes some kind of
comments concerning brass/wind/string balance in his liner notes and
follows suit in his recording.

Mark K. Ehlert