From:
Pablo Massa <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 Jul 2000 14:41:06 -0300
Jeremy Mc Millan:

>I love to watch "Bugs Bunny" and other Warner Brother's cartoons.  But
>get this: I don't watch the cartoons for the viewing part.  I love to
>listen to the background music(...) Is there anyone on this list that
>loves to listen to the background music also? Please reply!

I love cartoon music, especially that of Warner Brothers' ones.  I don't
remember now the names of the composers of the scores, but they were great
musicians, indeed.  There's a book by Roger Prendergast ("Film Music, a
Neglected Art") in which the author analyzed the process of composition,
recording and synchronization of this music: when we listen to it, it
sounds so "natural" and easy, but doing it was really a hell's work.
That cartoon with Bugs and Elmer Fudd playing "Il Barbiere di Siviglia"
is a classic, and I think it's among the 10 top of my favourites.  Another
favourite is one by Tex Avery, in which his famous fat dog (Spike, was his
name?) sings opera in an auditorium, and the conductor of the orchestra
(dressed like Stokowsky) makes him sing in 6 or 7 different styles of music
in twenty seconds (since hawaiian music to "Oh my darling Clementine").  I
have seen it a hundred times, perhaps, but every time I laugh just as in
the first occasion.

A couple years ago, a friend of mine wrote a short story in which the main
protagonist is the music of WB's cartoons (the subject of the story was,
however, pretty sad).  He published it in his second book of short stories.

PS:I would like to read a specifical and complete study on cartoon
music,?does anyone knows a good book on the subject?

Pablo Massa