From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Jun 2000 17:40:00 PDT
Mohammed Iqbal writes:

>I want to discuss with you the fact that many people hate classical
>music.  When you ask some of them, you receive answers like: it is a
>loud music that nobody understands and feel it and singers are screaming
>not singing... This is a problem.

For whom? Although the majority of people may not care for classical music,
you can always find many who dislike a particular musical form.  There
clearly is a large enough following for classical music to frequently be
performed in live concerts and on record.  As long as this situation holds
up, our little minority will be well served.

It just came to my mind that Mohammed might be referring to the problems
of interaction between those who love classical music and those who hate
it.  But this is not a problem either.  Music is but one area of life where
humans might find commonality or friction in their relationships.  When I
was in college, there was a real nice guy who was in our group of close
friends.  Except for him, our musical preferences were in the hard and
psychedelic rock area; he was and still is a classical music man.  When we
first met him, he related his classical music preference to us - we thought
that was humorous.  When asked if he liked any non-classical music, he
answered with *Neil Diamond* - that really got us into a laughing frenzy.
Our soon-to-be friend just went over to his record player, put on a Neil
Diamond tune, sat down and smiled at us.  Each of us started laughing
again, but we knew this guy was one of us, a real "keeper".  And, I always
did like Diamond's first commercially successful song - Solitary Man (great
title also).

Don Satz