Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Fri, 20 Oct 2000 09:28:45 -0500
From:
Steve Schwartz <[log in to unmask]>
John Dalmas replies to my contention on contemporary music wars:

>>I guess I'm saying that I don't see a categorical dislike in that
>>controversy.
>
>Perhaps, but you can find one in 17th century France in "la Guerre des
>Bouffons" betwen partisans of French opera and those of Italian.  Split
>hairs with that one, Steve.

I accept your invitation.  Is this war still going on?

Also, were there fights over where one or the other was actually music, or
somehow in defiance of natural physical and physiological laws? Or was the
fight simply over whether one form of opera was superior to the other?

Steve Schwartz