Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Wed, 9 Aug 2000 20:05:35 -0400
From:
Walter Meyer <[log in to unmask]>
Mark Ehlert wrote:

>Let me begin my stating that I'm no Bach or Telemann expert.  Having
>bought this recording just a few days ago myself and reading the
>liner notes by Goebbel, I story came to mind which I heard back in my
>undergraduate music history course, to wit: the person chosen to take
>the Leipzig position had to marry the ugly daughter of the Elector (or
>something like that).

Perhaps you are confusing this with reports of Bach having, in 1704, at
the age of 19, set off on foot from Arnstadt to Luebeck to hear Buxtehude,
and possibly to check out on his prospects to succeed him as organist, a
position which apparently came as a package deal w/ Buxtehude's 30-year old
daughter as a bride, all or nothing.

Walter Meyer