Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Tue, 8 Aug 2000 14:15:14 -0700
From:
Deryk Barker <[log in to unmask]>
Ed Zubrow ([log in to unmask]) wrote:

>Mats Norrman wrote:
>
>>That is logic, as all notes highs on an instrument, refers to the overtones
>>which follows the instruments form (construction) which causes overtones
>>which are different on different highs.  ...
>
>This is very interesting.  I thought I understood that in a piano the
>overtones are caused by the fact that other strings vibrate in addition
>to the ones struck.  What causes the overtones in wind instruments?

All instruments produce overtone structures; the difference between them
is largely what makes them sound characteristic.  Although other strings
can resonate on a piano, even if all other stringds are damped, you still
get an overtone series.

A tone with overtones, basically a sine wave, is actually very dull.
AFAIK the instrument which comes closest is the flute...no comment.

Deryk Barker