Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Wed, 26 Jul 2000 13:43:47 EDT
From:
Satoshi Akima writes:

>I cannot accept a primarily Rassentheorie ['race-theory'] based
>interpretation of Wagner - especially not of the Ring.

I can't either.  And though I was greatly impressed by Satoshi Akima's
presentation of his case, I continue to be persuaded that Wagner was a
far more profoundly grounded musician than he was a thinker.  Its difficult
to turn philosophy into music, perhaps even impossible to do so.  But
writing philosophy, or even Weltanschauung, is the test of one's astuteness
in these disciplines.  In his own day Wagner was probably more widely
known known as a writer than a musician.  And his writings did leave an
aftertaste of anti-Semitic vulgarity.  It's a pity that his deservedly bad
reputation as a writer has carried over into his music, most of which to me
is splendid (even if prolix).

Denis Fodor