Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Mon, 10 Jul 2000 09:33:56 -0700
From:
I have always found it interesting that since the days of early music and
medieval music, there has always been a large body of people resistant to
the change...  the evolution, if you will...  of music...

Now we have people who are devoted to Rock and Roll that their parents or
grandparents found to be so abominable.  But they can't stand Rap when its
popularity and longevity (since at least 1990) have been well established.

Everything new causes resistance.  Each change causes resentment.  It will
probably always be so in music.

Yet there is always a forward thinking group or three that looks forward to
the new and find ways to make it relevant.  Most classical music orchestras
around the world could not get away with playing just the old standards
anymore.  Too many people already demand the new, the modern, the avant
garde, the "atonal".

I have always looked at those most resistant to changes in music to be the
least relevant to what is taking place.  I hunger for music from composers
daring to make the change.  My most listened to CD's are from Henze,
Kernis, Carter, and the like.

Ray Bayles