Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Mon, 10 Jul 2000 12:34:59 +1000
From:
Brian Blackwell <[log in to unmask]>
I think Ms Wang's now infamous post has another, more disturbing
implication which I am surprised no-one has picked up on.  Since the vast
majority of non-European music (ie Indian ragas, Chinese opera, Bulgarian
folk song etc) is totally removed from the diatonic tonal Western
tradition, we could probably describe this music as 'atonal'.  Therefore
Ms Wang is essentially writing off the musical efforts of thousands of
years of Asian and East European culture as worthless; their music is
'without tonal center', so by definition there is no possibility
whatsoever of it being beautiful.

A little subconscious cultural imperialism here, methinks.

Brian Blackwell