Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Wed, 5 Jul 2000 13:01:50 +0200
From:
Juan Ramon Molina Menor <[log in to unmask]>
Hello everybody!  (Sorry about my english)

I'm new in this great list.  I'm a beginner classical guitar player, but
I can appreciate all kinds of music <grin>, from Padre Soler to Berio.

It seems that my beloved guitar is often neglected as a serious instrument:
too popular, too Spanish?, lack of classic "repertoire", sonic limits,
"amateurisme" in terms of musicianship of the players and other more or
less obscure reasons...

In the classical guitar lists, we discuss about the best guitar composers
and compositions, but I can easily imagine that our preferences are biaised
because of our love of the guitar sound and the awareness of it technical
difficulties.  I'll like to ask you, what classical guitar music do you
listen to, if any? Do you know about Leo Brouwer guitar music, Riley,
Villa-Lobos, Sor, Carter, Giuliani, Piazzolla, Mertz, Rodrigo, Ferneyhough,
Berio, Tippet, Britten, Gilardino, Krenek, etc..? (mainly composed in XXth
Century, I think it's better, or at least more interesting and for sure
more abundant).

If this music can't stand comparison with the best music of our time, why
do you think so? Why guitar music is so under-represented in concert halls?
I feel, sincerely, that I lack the perspective and age to judge by myself.
I'll like to listen from you, maybe you could convince me to buy a violin
or a piano or an ukelele...

With my best and guitar-paranoic-complex regards,

Juan