From:
Peter Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Jul 2000 15:14:02 -0400
At 12:00 AM 7/5/00 -0400, you wrote:
>Hmm, when I use plastic foundation with wooden frames, the bees happily draw
>comb up to, and partially on to, the wooden frame. The comb "glues" the
>plastic foundation to the frame quite nicely, and they are as solid as
>anything else.

I don't think the attachment of wax has the capability of handling the
weight like clips would, or even the old fashioned wiring did. That's why
the combs break out the bottom bars, all the weight is pressing down on
them. I have seen dozens of these. I had  a big pile of them on my
workbench. They are a sticky mess to repair, too.

Incidentally, we purchased several hundred Pierco frames and a supering
with them, 7 to a box with 3 drawn combs. The black ones are nice -- you
can really see the eggs in the bottom of the black plastic cells. I still
don't like the "look and feel" of plastic frames, but they do have more
square inches available for comb...

Peter Borst
http://www.people.cornell.edu/pages/plb6/