From:
Jeremey McMillan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Jul 2000 01:17:20 EDT
I was wondering if being a "walking tuning fork" helps a person be a
better composer.  Here is my opinion:  NO.  Having perfect pitch just
makes writing music easier.  I believe a person can write music away from
the piano if they just have very good relative pitch.  Some notes may be
a little off, but it's easy to write a simple piece away from the piano.
Just try it!  It comes in handy when you are improvising.  A whole symphony
may be a little harder, but hearing the notes in your head in relation to
the tonic, subdominant, and the dominant can help.

What's your opinion?

Jeremey