From:
Bill Pirkle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Jul 2000 12:18:13 -0700
Steve Schwartz replies to me:

>The computer can be programmed to write the programmer's idea of any
>composer you like, but can it create something new? That is, if you
>programmed the computer to yield your idea of Wagner, would the computer
>be able to come up with a "Mahler" or some other sport? That's the "Turing
>test" I'd give the software - its ability to mimic the surprise.

You make a good point.  By surprise I assume you mean something that is
inevitable but not predictable.  That is, inevitable in that it works,
but not predictable in that it is a surprise.  I think, after being on
the list, that my next effort at computer generated music will be totally
emotion based, not that I am abandoning the product that I have which is
still fun to play with and does evoke emotions.  But I do not make an
effort to toy with the listener's mind and take them on an emotional trip.

In an attempt to design such software, I have started threads or
participated in threads on emotion, meta-composition etc.  but there seems
to be little knowledge (or perhaps interest) in how this works.  Today I
shall subscribe to one of the psychology mail lists.  Maybe they can shed
some light on emotion, the types, the kinds, etc.  Can you think of other
fields of study that can help me.

Bill Pirkle