HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
John R Hyett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Apr 2001 15:35:07 +1000
Iain
Military equipment and ammunition were dumped in Australia after the 2nd
World War. I have worked with blokes who claimed to have unearthed ammo
dumps in Victoria, a bit of a problem arose when they set fire to the grass
with the tracer bullets that were mixed in with the rest of the 303 ammo. I
also was told of diesel dumps left on the islands off Cooktown by the Yanks
after the war. The diesel was covered in a green scum so they didn't use it
for running their boat motors.
John