HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Fri, 26 Jan 2001 02:10:39 -0500
Yes Dan, but those glass scrapers make great discussion and further
illustrate how narrow minded some of us are in defining tool kits. I recall a
discussion at the Society for California Archaeology meetings just a few
years back where we had Native Americans selecting broken wine bottle glass
and Canton porcelain tradeware to knap into traditional arrowpoint styles.
Some of our colleagues actually proposed this to be evidence of
acculturation, while more sober archaeologists simply commented they were
excellent datable items of traditional continuum with zero evidence of
acculturation. Always good for discussion.

Ron May
Legacy 106, Inc.