HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
David Moyer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Sep 2002 20:39:08 -0700
Denis,

The only reference I can find regarding William
Fairbairns is from:

Godden, Geoffery A. (1999) Godden's Guide to
Ironstone, Stone and Granite Wares. Antique
Collector's Club, Woodbridge Sufolk UK.

The entry reads exactly as follows (p.241):

"Printed marks occur comprising a reproduction of the
British Royal Arms and supporters with the name
"William Fairbairs" below and "Ironstone China" above.
I have, however, been unable to trace a British potter
of this name. The mark may, therefore, relate to a
mid-Victorian wholesaler, importer or exporter."

Yet another vague reference. Big surprise.

Dave