HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Carl Steen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Carl Steen
Date:
Wed, 27 Feb 2002 15:10:49 -0500
Come on Rob, stop teasing. How early is this site? What does the mark say? How does it parallel the Crolius mark?  And weren't there several generations of Crolius potters, beginning in about 1713 and
lasting through the early 19th century? Was Duvall making German style blue and gray stoneware or brown and white English style wares? And what kind of earthenwares? Enquiring minds want to know
before 2003!

Carl Steen

By the way, congratulations to everyone for salvaging so much with so little notice. Good Job!

2/27/2002 2:32:50 PM, Robert Hunter <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>  Date:   Wed, 27 Feb 2002 14:32:50 -0500
>
>  From:   Robert Hunter <[log in to unmask]>
>  Subject:Duval--again
>  To:     [log in to unmask]
>

>  Re George's Miller request...in case this didn't make it in the original
>  posting:
>
>  Dave deserves a tremendous amount of praise for his tireless efforts-- not
>
>  only with this site--but his vigilance with many of Virginia's important
>  archaeological resources.
>
>  The analysis of the sherds promises to offer exciting new insights into this
>  early southern stoneware pottery.  In fact, Dave Hazzard may have found the
>
>  most significant fragment:  a maker's stamp that parallels the Crolius mark
>  of Manhattan, New York. This mark is previously unknown and suggests a
>  direct and  important connection with New York.. I should mention that
>  although I look forward to publishing an in-depth article on this material
>
>  in Ceramics in America 2003, any interested graduate student looking for a
>  exciting thesis topic may feel free to contact me.
Carl Steen
Archaeologist
The Diachronic Research Foundation
PO Box 50394