HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Thu, 9 Aug 2001 01:58:07 -0400
Gary,

When we expend federal or private funds for conducting archaeological
research, we do not focus on nails alone. Metal nails are elements of
architecture, which can provide evidence for interpretting a lost building.
The range of nail types guide in interpretting wall framing, trim and
cabinetry, roof structures, and even furniture. We probably can assume this
information is an element of a broader research problem designed by the
archaeologist and approved by the funding agency. In this context, even a
single nail contributes to the broader research problem. Cut or wire nails in
sufficient quantity can be evidence for dating the structure. Federal laws
here protect artifacts on federal lands, even sites not found eligible for
inclusion on the National Register. It is for this reason that I advised
against destructive cleaning methods that would reduce the evidenciary value
of the nails. Moreover, future researchers will want to examine the evidence
used in the report and may well want to see the nails. If you destroy the
nails, how can we know what kind of architecture existed at the site?

Ron May
Legacy 106, Inc.