HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Oona Nicolson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Aug 2001 10:30:49 +1000
Regarding the treatment of syphilis and the use of mercury, this is an older
reference and I do not know whether the application of any of the following
actually cured the disease or simply assisted in easing and managing the
symptoms.  However, the reference to mercury being used intravenously and by
intramuscular injection in the 1930s indicates that this method of treatment
had been in use previously but for how long I do not know.

The British Encyclopedia of Medical Practice, 1939 edition and published by
Butterworths contains the following (pg 592)

Treatment of Syphilis
The principle remedies used compounds of the following:
arsenic
mercury
bismuth
iodine

Arsenic can be given by intravenous or intramuscular injection
In most clinics now mercury has been superseded by bismuth however, mercury
can still be given by IV or IM or by ointment: one sixth of body area for
6-10 weeks (therefore rotate it).
Iodine can be given by IV injection.
Bismuth can be given by injection.

Oona Nicolson