From:
Richard Pennycuick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 28 Oct 2000 09:08:24 +1100
As if proof were needed that some of the former majors are being run
by accountants, used car salesmen or both, I submit the information that
Sony's website announces three 2-CD sets called A Copland Celebration, for
which read remasterings of some justly well-loved versions that have been
around for many a year.

After noting the slightly vomitous covers, I checked the tracklists.  Vol
3 contains, among others, The Tender Land.  All 17 tracks are carefully
listed, including such titles as Very broadly, Briskly, Somewhat slower.
I remember seeing this sort of thing thirty years ago where the tempo
markings for an LP of Haydn symphonies were dutifully included in a release
sheet, but thought those days were long gone.  I think Sony's classical
department is being managed by some eight-year-old after school (and, in
case there are any eight-year-old lurkers on the list, I mean no
disrespect).

Just to get us really excited, Sony promises us at least 100 minutes of
music on each set.  Wow!  What largesse!  I thought of e-mailing them to
say that I have, for example, a number of Philips Duo sets with more than
150 minutes of music on them.  But it's not worth the trouble, is it?

Richard Pennycuick