From:
Allan Emper <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Oct 2000 17:00:03 -0400
I have started enjoying classical music for a few years now, and I
must say that everytime I heard people mentioned a child prodigy I would
question how could a child prodigy plays better or in par with a seasoned
professional top player? Well, my doubt no more exists.  I went to Albert
Wong's piano recital this past Sunday in Steinway Hall - Dallas in Texas,
and I was completely blown away by his music.  He played a couple
clementi's, a Chopin, a Beethoven, and something else I don't remember.
They were all very very exquisitely done complete with dynamics and
emotions.  After the concert, a long line of people waited to greet him
and purchase his debut CD set of Bach well-tempered clavier book II from
Ivory Classics (www.ivoryclassics.com).  I chatted with the people in line,
and many of them were piano teachers.  They all claimed that Albert Wong
is a genius.  One teacher told me that she has not heard of such level
of music performance from a 10 years old like Albert since maybe Evgeny
Kissin.  Wow, so I bought the CDs, and enjoyed those very much even though
I personnaly much prefer music from the later romantic era like Chopin's
and Listz's.

Anyhow, my questions to the music lovers on the net are:

(1) Have any of you heard this 10 years old Albert Wong play? What's your
professional openion?

(2) Are there other child prodigies in the world in the same age group
as Albert Wong who have been "discovered"? I heard Helen Hwang a few years
back when she was 13, and she was good.  But I haven't heard of any other
until now.

(3) Kissin was considered a real child prodigy, has his career grown as big
as it can be? I went to his concert in Fort Worth a few years ago, the hall
was packed, and the audience reponded enthusiastically enough to earn 7-8
encores from him (maybe more, I think that's the number).

Thanks,

Allan