From:
Denis Fodor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Oct 2000 12:15:32 EDT
Renato Vinicius:

>>I believe we don't find, now adays, writers like Shaw, Adorno, Mann,
>>Mencken, etc., because that kind of text requires a deep subjective
>>experience...

To which Pablo Massa replies:

>True.  There's another fact about this: nowadays there are very few
>periodical publications open to that kind of writing about music.

As an old magazine man, I say Amen to both those propositions.  Maybe we
can take comfort from the fact that outlets such as this list, which is a
pioneering endeavor, provide us perhaps not with great-name reviewers or
critics, but for that with some of the most readable and informed surveyors
of discography available to the general public today.  Hands like Steve
Schwartz, notably he, are a treasure

<Fodor squinches the jeweller's loupe to his good eye>

They know their music, they write well, and thus can make good judgements
and explain 'em plausibly.  It's a pity that talents like these aren't
plugged into a big-city music scene, and to live performances there.  But
then, we do have on board Janos Gereben, and there the pity is that he
isn't plugged in to a better newspaper--which he deserves to be, God knows.

Denis Fodor