From:
Mats Norrman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 1 Oct 2000 05:14:45 +0100
I can report I have just recieved a very valuable gift.  It is a classical
CD, which I am right now listening to - again!  I say it is valuable, but
it doesn't cost more than any CD, and even if it did, I wouldn't consider
it valuable for that per se, as I don't care for such earthly things as
money.  But much worth to me was the fine idea of sending a CD as thanks
to a person one has debated with on the list - in this case Wagner, among
other things.

The CD is an ERATO 2292-45827-2 with Schoenberg's symphonic poem "Pelleas
und Melisande" op. 5 after Maurice Maeterlincks play.  Schoenberg had
originally thought to turn the play into an opera, just like DeBussy
(though it is not sure he knew DeBussys attempt at that time).  Schonberg
came into the conclusion that there wasn't time for a long opera at that
time, and we might be lucky he came to that decision; at least when we
look at what he created instead:  a 40 minutes of the most wonderful music
describing the love of Pelleas and Melisande.  The music expresses a vast
range of emotions meanwhile Schoenbergs genial varying of the motifs in a
symphonic development is going on - that is really a piece that appeals
both to the heart and the brain!  Best I liked the part that works like a
"Schrezo" in the symphony; the famous szene illustrating Melisande letting
her hair hanging out of the tower window, while she is playing with the
wedding ring she has got from Golaud and she looses it in the fountain,
and Pelleas entry with a youthfully and knightlly outmodelled motif.  That
szene is very colourfully illustrated by Schoenberg, and he might have used
much work on modelling it out.  But the impact of the whole piece is simply
overpowering!

My else so elaborate treasure of words is lacking the proper tools to
express my joy in this moment.  I am thankful to Dr. Satoshi Akima for
thinking of me, and I will keep his CD and regard it as a jewel in my
collection.

Now I invite others to tell about their best musical gifts they have got!

Mats Norrman