From:
William Strother <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Aug 2000 15:47:24 -0700
Note also the changes in Walter's conducting in just the later years of
his life:  There was a tendency for his tempos to become somewhat slower:
e.g., Mahler 1, Schubert 9, Brahms 1 & 2, Beethoven 9.  But no particular
changes in his Mozart, other Beethoven & Schubert.  So it seems that any
conclusions would be rather limited.  And I forgot to mention the Mahler
9th, which is almost a different work in 1961 then it was in 1938.  Of
course, Los Angeles in 1961 was a quite different place than was Vienna
in 1938, also.

I'm not making a judgmental statement here.  In fact, my preference goes
to the first Mahler 1, and the last Schubert 9 and Mahler 9.  I remember
hearing John McClure, his Columbia record producer, being disapppointed in
the later Schubert C-major; he had anticipated something like the NY Phil
of the late 40s.  By the way, I wish that earlier one would appear on CD.

Bill S