From:
Mats Norrman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Aug 2000 20:41:14 +0200
Walter Meyer <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>John G. Deacon wrote:
>
>>Alberich is a character and not a symbol (mythic or otherwise).  He
>>renounced sex and love for gold because he was too ugly to get laid.
>>I suggest that it begins and ends right there.
>
>And where did Hagen come from?

With the Stork!  No, I don't know for sure.  But if Hagen has some divine
blood he can have been produced before Alberiks robbing of the gold (2000
years passes between "Das Rheingold" and "Die Walkuere", 15-20 between "Die
Walkuere" and "Siegfried", a few weeks between end of "Siegfried" and "Die
Goetterdaemmerung").  But as he is the daughter of Gibichs widow Grimhild,
this is unlikely, but Alberik renounced LOVE not SEX as Deacon wrote.  So
Hagen is produced by Alberik with Sex without Love.

Mats Norrman