From:
Deryk Barker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Aug 2000 10:39:40 -0700
David Runnion ([log in to unmask]) wrote:

>Alan Dudley wrote:
>
>>Is the character of a piece changed if it is transposed? Is this merely a
>>tradition carried over from the days when the keys were actually different
>>because of the tuning of the instruments used?
>
>I certainly think so. I can't imagine LvB9 in Ab.

? Assuming you're referring to the 9th symphony that would be a hell of a
transposition (from D minor)

Oddly enough I was listening to somebody talking about the general rise
in pitch on the CBC just the other day.  (that is they wer talking on the
CBC..) part of the reason is that instruments sound brighter at a higher
pitch, so in a sense the character is changed.

Deryk Barker