From:
Andrys Basten <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 30 Jul 2000 01:41:02 -0700
Ravi Narasimhan wrote:

>I'm watching Monsaingeon's film on Richter for the third time and wondering
>about Richter's final comment, "I do not like myself." There is a review of
>this work at:
>
>http://www.towerofbabel.com/sections/film/cinemastardust/richter1.htm
>
>in which the author says that the comment was taken out of context and also
>has a different meaning in the Russian.  I'm very interested in knowing
>what got lost in the translation.

>From what I have heard from someone I trust, Richter was asked about a
certain performance.  His answer was in response to that.  He did not like
himself in -that- performance.  However, in using this statement out of
context, the filmmaker felt he was getting at a deeper truth.  I have no
idea if that is so, but I do remember that Richter was known for some mood
swings and I suppose there were moods during which he might have felt that
way.

Andrys in Berkeley
http://www.andrys.com/books.html   search sheet music, videos, CDs
http://www.andrys.com/cbooks.html  newer classical music books