From:
Richard Pennycuick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 29 Jul 2000 09:42:33 +1000
Achim Breiling asked:

>Which other 20th century ballet works would list-members suggest me to try?

Bartok: The Miraculous Mandarin
Bizet/Shchedrin: The Carmen Ballet - the music is C19, Shchedrin's
deliciously outrageous orchestration is very much C20.
Bliss: Adam Zero, coupled with A Colour Symphony on Naxos.
Bliss: Mirace in the Gorbals, on Naxos with other Bliss works.
Copland: Appalachian Spring
Copland: Billy the Kid
Copland: Grohg; Hear Ye! Hear Ye! (coupled on Argo).
Feeney: Cinderella (Excerpts) with Muldowney: The Brontes and Davis: A
Christmas Carol (Naxos).  Cinderella is one of my special favourites.
Feeney: Dracula (Naxos) - interesting but less successful, IMO.
Gould: Fall River Legend
Khachaturian: Gayaneh (the Melodiya/BMG conducted by Kakhidze (sp?)
Khachaturian: Spartacus
Lambert: Pomona; Tiresias (Hyperion)
Martinu: Spalicek
Martinu: Istar
Poulenc: Les Biches
Poulenc: Les animaux modeles (these are both in an EMI twofer of his
orchestral works)
Prokofiev: Romeo and Juliet
Prokofiev: Cinderella
Prokofiev: The Stone Flower
Roussel: Bacchus et Ariane
Roussel: Le festin d'araignee
Shostakovich: Ballet Suites (2-CD set on Chandos)
Szymanowski: Harnasie
Szymanowski: Mandragora (these are coupled on Naxos - also available on EMI).
Vaughan Williams: Job, A Masque for Dancing

Richard Pennycuick