From:
Len Fehskens <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Jul 2000 10:13:48 -0400
Jeremey McMillan asks:

>What are the qualities these two men [Horowitz, Rachmaninov] possess that
>makes them accomplished pianists while the old lady down the street is not
>an accomplished pianist?

Taking the pure nurturant position, I would say

"She just didn't want to badly enough.  Had she wanted to, she surely could
have." Or maybe, "Her parents didn't want her to, so they didn't send her
to piano virtuoso school as a child.  Had they, she surely could have."

This of course just begs the question, "Why not?", which is why I'm
not a pure nurturant.

len.