From:
Bill Pirkle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Jul 2000 16:25:57 -0700
There is an article in the Tacoma News Tribune (Tacoma Washington)
about the future of computers in music.  The reporter interviewed me
and a professor at the University of Washington's music department on the
subject.  It is particurarily approporiate to the list since the reporter
raises the question "What is music, anyway?" and the article discusses the
computer's role in future music.  Since the reporter, a cello player, does
not answer that question, I have invited him to join the list, he will fit
right in.  <grin>

You may see the article at the paper's website:

   http://www.tribnet.com/

You can search on "computer generated music" or follow the arts/music link.
The article is entitled "synthetic symphonies".  In the paper, the artwork
shows a conductor conducting a computer from which music is flowing.  He
is against a background curtain of 1s and 0s.  The artist has captured the
essence of the subject of the article.  May be I'll try to get him to join
us too.

Since my views on this subject are well known to the list, there is no
need to rehash my statements in the article on the list.  But you may
find something to discuss about the use of synthesized sounds in CM and
what effects electronics will have on music and musicians in the future.

You can also see the atricle at our website under the link "press coverage"
Enjoy.

Bill Pirkle
www.pirkle-websites.com/composer