From:
Achim Breiling <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Jul 2000 10:14:46 +0200
Greg Conn wrote:

>I would suggest that there are NONE today who can compose music at the
>level of Brahms or Haydn.

On what do you base this suggestion? How to you measure the level of a
composition or of a composer? For sure no contemporary composer will manage
to get performed as often as these two (we might wait 100-200 years and
check then) and no contemporary composer will manage to sell his music on
as many CDs as these two (indirectly) do, but I do not think that sales
rates and performance number tell much about the quality of a work or the
level of the composer!

Achim Breiling (who loves Brahms music and has a very high opinion of Haydn).