From:
Bert Bailey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Jun 2000 13:49:04 -0400
Jeremey McMillan raised the silly:

>>...tendency to associate Classical music and Intelligence.

To which Steve Schwartz added:

>Marketing, pure marketing.  [...ploys] ...reinforced by the movies,
>which also often use a taste for classical music to indicate aristocratic,
>genius-level evil (villain played by Alan Rickman or George Sanders).

A delightful case along similar lines (i.e., low-level villain,
rotten music) occurs with the underworld thug assistant to The Spic
in Jean-Jacques Beineix's "Diva" -- IMO the greatest film ever made
_about_ music.  This tragi-comic detective story featuring a delightfully
improbable Socratic hero is scripted and slickly directed with an eye on
Plato's Symposium and its themes:  desire, love and beauty ...musical
beauty, in the film.

Anyway, near the end, upon the death of this vile and IIRC nameless
character -- whose leitmotif is that he dislikes everything:  his recurrent
bit of dialogue being "Je n'aime pas..." this and that, for instance
"...les ascenceurs [elevators].," etc.  -- we discover that he'd been
secretly listening, all along, to the wretchedest polka music at
brain-shaking volume through his earphones.

Bert Bailey